CHANT AND SPIRITUALITY
The Schola Cantorum of St. Peter's in the Loop; J. Michael Thompson, Director
Performed live-and to much acclaim-at the 1995 National Association of Pastoral Musicians convention, Chant and Spirituality celebrates the cycles of time and seasons-diurnal, annual, liturgical, and eternal. The rich and varied chant traditions presented include Gregorian, Byzantine, Ambrosian, Anglican, Finnish, Old Roman, Dominican, Carpatho-Rusyn, and Kievan.
Rejoicing in all the cycles of life, from the prayer of morning and evening, to the great Easter Vigil Exsultet, to a song of praise for the eternal nature of God, Chant and Spiritualitygloriously celebrates the timeless power of chant as an expression of spirituality.
- Kyrie from Gregorian Mass IX
- Phos Hilaron
- Quoniam tu illminans
- Psalm 143, Ecce nunc benedicite Dominum
- Jam lucis orto sidere, office hymn at Prime
- Rorate coeli desuper, medieval Advent prose
- O Rex Gentium, antiphon on Magnificat, Dec. 23
- O House of Ephratha, Vespers of the forefeast of Christmas chant of the Valaam Monastery, Finland, in Mode II
- Chants for the Baptism of the Lord; Irmos VII, the Great Canon of Saint Andrew of Crete
- Parce Domine, medieval Lenten refrain
- Pueri hebraeorum, from the Procession of Palms
- Behold the Bridegroom Comes, troparion of Bridegroom Matins
- Ubi caritas et amor, preparation chant, Holy Thursday
- Lesson I portion, Matins of Holy Thursday
- The Paschal Proclamation (Exsultet)
- O Heavenly King, hymn to the Holy Spirit
- Te Deum Laudaumus
J. Michael Thompson is the director of music ministry at St. Peter's Church, where he is the founder and director of the Schola Cantorum. He has been a pastoral musician and liturgist for twenty years, as well as a composer, author, and a noted promoter of the Liturgy of the Hours and Gregorian chant in contemporary parish situations.
Available on cassette [$12.95 (list:
$14.95)] or compact disc. Please specify your preference when ordering. If ordering the cassette, the price will be adjusted when we receive your order but will not be reflected on your program-generated receipt.