- "A number of years ago, leaders in a church decided to track down the congregation's drop-outs. They combed through the membership list, put together a list of names, and sent out volunteers two-by-two to knock on doors and invite the absent members back to church. As is often the case, the volunteer visitors discovered that most of the people visited had found other things to do on Sunday morning..."
- ["If you've ever had your wallet or purse stolen you know that the worst 'loss' is not the cash (who has it!) or the credit cards (you just cancel them). The worst loss is all those personal, "heart" things you keep close to you..."]
- ("Last weekend Retired General Colin Powell spoke at a fund raiser in Stamford, CT. He remarked on the differences in his life since he resigned as Joint Chief of Staff in the Bush Administration. One of the items he misses is his own personal jet, ready to whisk him away to important places...")
- ("In a Peanuts cartoon, Lucy is staring out the window with a worried look on her face. 'It sure has been raining a long time,' she says to Linus. 'Do you think it's going to flood the earth again?'...")
- ("Have you heard? Hollywood says we have three years left until the apocalypse. Hollywood, always a reliable scientific and spiritual source, is basing its prediction on the ancient Mayan long-count calendar. This is a calendar which correctly predicted an astonishing number of other astrological and mathematical events...")