- ("on our tandem bicycle, Dad and I were invincible. Riding with Dad, I didn't think about being blind. I just did what everybody else did on the back seat of a tandem: no steering, just pedaling. It was late spring in my quiet hometown of Bradley Beach, New Jersey. For the first time since the previous summer, there was enough light left for a bike trip after supper...")
- ("A visitor to the Vatican was quite impressed with the beauty and power of the place. He asked Pope John XXIII this question: 'How many people do you have working here?' With a twinkle in his eye, the pope replied, 'About half of them'...")
- Steve Morrison tells a story about a friend of his who likes to read fairy tales to his two young sons at night. This friend has great sense of humor and often times ad-libs parts of the stories just for fun. One day his youngest son was sitting in his first grade class as the teacher was reading the story of the Three Little Pigs. She came to the part of the story where the first pig was trying to gather building materials for his home.
She said "...And so the pig went up to the man with a wheel barrow full of straw and said 'Pardon me sir, but might I have some of that straw to build my house with?'"
Then the teacher asked the class "And what do you think that man said?"
This friend's little boy raised his hand and said "I know! I know! he said, 'Holy smokes! A talking pig!'" The teacher was unable to teach for the next ten minutes...
- ("Steve Morrison tells a story about a friend of his who likes to read fairy tales to his two young sons at night. This friend has great sense of humor and often times ad-libs parts of the stories just for fun. One day his youngest son was sitting in his first grade class as the teacher was reading the story of the Three Little Pigs. She came to the part of the story where the first pig was trying to gather building materials for his home...")
- ("The country singer, Reba McIntire once told about several people in her life who planted seeds to encourage her singing career. First there was her mother, who encouraged her to use her gift of singing. Then there was her second grade teacher, Mrs. Kanton, who helped her learn the song, My Favorite Things from Sound of Music. Reba's grandmother planted seeds in her too, only they were the stories from the bible she taught Reba when they went fishing together..." and another illustration)
- ("Annie Dillard wrote a book with the marvellous title Teaching a Stone to Talk. In it she said, 'Why do people in church seem like cheerful, brainless tourists on a packaged tour of the Absolute? On the whole, I do not find Christians, outside the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of the conditions..." and other illustrations)
- ("Every morning the early local newscast reports on how good or bad the daily commute is going. Strategically perched cameras and computer generated models show whether there is clear sailing or clogged arterials on the major commute-routes. Seattle is a city consistently in the Top 10 for its gelatinous traffic jams - the LA freeway is a breezeway compared to Seattle's Route 5 most of the time...")
- ("Every year millions of people go on diets. Again. And they try harder. And a few of them actually lose weight, for a while. But only one out of a thousand takes it off and keeps it off. The only people who are successfully dieting are anorexics...")
- "Last year I read about a Century Plant growing at the University of Connecticut. This gigantic plant only blooms once in every hundred years â€“ and most people would say thatâ€™s a really good thing. When it IS fully grown and opens up its flowering bud, its scent is grotesquely unappetizing..."
- ("Pliny the Elder, a Roman author writing at the same time as Jesus knew it well. This is what he wrote about it: 'With its pungent taste and fiery effect, mustard is extremely beneficial for the health. It grows entirely wild, though it is improved by being transplanted: but on the other hand, when it has once been sown, it is scarcely possible to get the place free of it...")
- ("Some people imagine that the passage of two millenia since Jesusâ time has somehow diminished the first evangelical fervour of that mustard seed. I have to admit that, until I was myself sent on the missions, I would have been one of them. That was before I was sent to work in the Rupununi in South America Â the Northern riverain of the Amazon...")
- ("Nick Thomas found himself at the age of forty-seven unemployed and under tremendous financial pressure. Though he had a successful career in the Air Force and the insurance business, some reversals had set him back and left him with no place to go. His wife, Liz, made their situation a matter of prayer..." and other illustrations)