BREAKING OF THE BREAD, THE by Eugene LaVerdiere
10.95 9.95 On Sale!
In Dining in the Kingdom of God, Eugene LaVerdiere brought to light the origins of the eucharist in the Gospel of Luke. Yet Luke wrote another powerful book of the New Testament: the Acts of the Apostles. Acts picks up where the Gospel left off, and Luke tells us how the members of the church recovered after the death of Jesus and came to trust in his true presence with them in "the breaking of the bread", a rite that has continued uninterrupted since then.
In this new volume, LaVerdiere traces Luke's further development of the practice and theology of the eucharist. The Breaking of the Bread is a must for anyone interested in the origins and development of the eucharist.
Chapter titles include:
- The Eucharist in the Acts of the Apostles
- A Covenant of Salt (1:1-14)
- The Primitive Community in Jerusalem (1:15--5:42)
- The Breaking of the Bread (2:42-47)
- From Jerusalem to Antioch (6:1-12:25)
- The Choice of the Seven (6:1 - 7)
- The Conversion of Saul (9:1- 30)
- The Conversion of Cornelius (10:1 -- 11:18)
- The Missions from Antioch (13:1--19:20)
- The Council of Jerusalem (15:1 - 35)
- At Table with Gentiles (16:25- 34)
- The Great Journey to Rome (19:21--28:31)
- Breaking Bread at Troas (20:7-12)
- Breaking Bread in a Great Storm at Sea (27:33- 38).
(Purchase of this book helps you qualify for the free shipping option if it is being offered at the time of your order.)